Just One Hour?

Photobucket

"It is as strange that a man
can be in a sinful, miserable condition, and not be aware of it, as that a man
should have a beam in his eye, and not consider it; but the god of this world
blinds their minds."
Mathew Henry’s Concise Commentary on Matthew 7:7-11

How many times do we rush to judge others while ignoring what is
in our hearts and life? The whole chapter of Matthew 7 points us to how
sinfulness shows up in our lives. He paints the picture for us so we can
understand how easy it is for us to be blinded to the condition of our lives.

He says:

• Wide is the gate & broad is
    the way to destruction, while strait is the gate & narrow is the way
    to life.
  • A good tree bears good fruit,
    while a bad tree bears bad fruit and is cut down and burned.
  • A house built upon a rock will
    not be torn down when the storms come but a house built upon the sand will
    be washed away with the storm.

I find it interesting to note that before Christ paints the pictures with His
words of the spiritual conditions of our lives, He specifically tells us that
we can go to the Father in our conditions and seek His help &
understanding….the best news of all is that He will give it to us.

7  Ask, and
it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened
unto you:

8  For every one that asketh
receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be
opened.

9  Or what man is there of you,
whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?

10  Or if he ask a fish, will he
give him a serpent?

11  If ye then, being evil, know
how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father
which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

By
this we know we do not have to stay in this condition, we only need to be ever
searching
our own hearts and asking for understanding, from Him, as to the sinful things
we can not see in our lives….

I meet people every day that seem to
be in a trance, you speak to them about spiritual things and they just smile at
you and nod.  Sometimes they may even
throw in their 2 cents, but there is no depth to what they say.  The conversation just hangs there in mid air
waiting to be concluded.  At that point,
I have a sense of disappointment, that I have missed out on an opportunity to gain some insight from another through their wisdom or Chrisitian journey or perhaps even to be used of God, myself to minister to another soul.

I believe each of us has a spiritual
need inside of us that needs to be filled.
Just like our stomachs need food when it is hungry.  The audible sound our stomach’s make, the rumbling or the "growl", would be the calling for
the food.  As to the spiritual need, I
believe it is a restlessness or a nagging, as I like to call it.  It can be uncomfortable or disconcerting.  But just as many have fed their stomachs too much or when it was not hungry, they have lost the
sensitivity to hunger.  We don’t even know when to stop eating because we have ignored the sensation of being filled!

So as it is with our spiritual need.  We are often so filled with so much of the world that we have lost
the "nagging".  We may still feel the
restlessness but have lost the ability to discern that it is a result of
spiritual hunger.

Just as Jesus asked the sleeping
disciples, “Would you not pray with me one hour?” I believe God is asking each
one of His children, “would you not seek me for just one hour?”

I often feel that way with other
Christians…I am bored of small talk and restless to see the Holy Spirit move in and through God’s people.  ”Can we not discuss our Savior and His truths for just one hour?” I only ask this question because of the restlessness I am feeling and I sense that it is God the Father drawing me in, wanting more from me. A deeper fellowship.  I guess I just wanted some company!

May we all seek Him and fill our needs in Him!

Grace to all my MSN friends!

16 thoughts on “Just One Hour?

1. Amy says:

wow! very similar to what I\’ve been feeling for a while. The need for deeper followship, or the need to feel His presence. Also, I have become bored of small talk. One thing that has been nagging me is the fact that no one ever realy wants to know how other people are doing. They ask the question "how are you doing" and don\’t expect more than the usual "good" "fine" "great" or even "okay". This even occurs in the church. A place of fellowship where you should feel free to make known how you are really doing. Those are opportunities in and of themselve to learn how someone is really feeling in their heart and opportunities to have spiritual conversations where you may be able to share the gospel.  sorry…that\’s one of my pet peeves. I could\’ve condenced that.

I hope and pray that you will come to your deeper fellowship with God, and have your spirit filled.

loves!
    L.F.H.

2. Joe says:

This is the paradox of mankind in that we seek freedom but continue to define freedom as getting what we think we want apart from the will of God.  Satan is a very able deceiver but you know the man that says he has no sin deceives himself…therefor we in essence take the Devil\’s role and make it all too easy for him.  Then power of deception comes from a person who is actually twisted in their thinking to the place where they defend a lifestyle that isn\’t best for them at all and will fight to the death for that "freedom".  The bible very accurately says that a kingdom divided against itself can\’t stand…self deception does just that.  Most have a misguided hatred of Christianity because they feel it binds us up and won\’t let us be what we\’re meant to be…the truth is that is what religion does…not just Christian religion…any religion.  Relationship with God liberates us to be what we\’re meant to be.  We are all destined to be in the service of God and can only find happiness there.  This would not be so if He were not our maker but He is there for we are designed to have relationship with Him and find satisfaction doing His will.  He remains the way the truth and the life and no man comes to the Father excep by Him (Jesus).  This has also been on my heart so much lately.  Thanks for blogging it!

3. FotoTrek says:

Hi Shell,

You really poured your heart out here and for that I very much respect you.

I have some of the same desires as you do, but mine are somewhat different as well. I have the desire to get to know God better and to follow in His will for me. But I also have the desire (Need?) to figure out how to integrate God into my everyday life. That didn\’t come out right. I keep God in my mind everyday, all through the day, and I pray or talk to Him quite often.

Hmmm, now I am thinking again that maybe that\’s not right either.

I guess I just don\’t know where my inner turmoil is coming from… at all…

Anyways, I hope you find a way to fill the desires you crave, for they are admirable desires.

Love you,
    Liz

4. Adrian says:

Yes, I have the similar feelings.  Need to get \’myself\’ out of the way to allow the Holy Spirit to truely move! 🙂
    Adrian

5. nita says:

hi shell, I have often felt the need of company in that way too.  at the moment, I just dont know how I feel, I know I should be looking to god and his word, rather than circumstances and they keep getting in the way.  I also know the closer I get to god, the more satan attacks, and that I am finding difficult too at the moment, I do – I am rebuking him, but in that too I sometimes feel very alone.  going to close now, because not in very positive frame of mind tonight, but after reading your blog wanted to leave you some kind of response, take care – god bless – hugs nita.

6. diane says:

You put a lot of inner self in this blog..as I read it, what you had to say sounded so familiar…So many only look at God for what He can do for them, not fearing Him, having no repect for  "who" He is, just what He can do for them.  Being in the world , or carnally minded, in what they ask of Him.  He said when you seek Him and His righteousness..if it lifts Him up, If it Gloirifies Him, if it Exalts Him,…We have a saying  "when the praises go up the blessings come down…but He INHABITS the praises of His people, so that to me means the BLESSOR comes down! A relationship and closness to God is only one praise away….Walk in your blessings!

7. FotoTrek says:

9:00 PM

9:00 PM

9:00 PM

That is the time I woke up to go to church tonight.

7:00 PM

7:00 PM

7:00 PM

That is the time the service started.

Sigh.

8. FotoTrek says:

I went back to bed a little after 10:00 and I am just now getting up. I did wake up twice but gosh I slept about 16 hours. Something is not right or I was just that short on sleep.

9. FotoTrek says:

are you in eastern time? or is your blog set wrong? ause it\’s 9:29 here now and you blog will mark my time as 8:29. Weird. I thought we were in the same time zone.

Good evening,
    I like what Joe said about relationship. When we know God…Really know Him. He can walk with us every step of the way. Showing and helping and even rescuing us when we mess up. Raising my hand…I mess up and am a work in progress. But I’m teachable. There’s a key in life we should all have. Always remain teachable. To Godly wisdom most importantly.
    This world is tired of religious crap and wants the real deal. When things get dark and gloomy I get excited. Why? Because I know God is getting ready to d a great big things to open eyes and ears of understanding.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Greg

11. Texas says:

Great Blog!  I\’ve been the instigator of many conversations with friends, who just smile & nod when I bring up my faith in God.  They offer no comments other than "That\’s good."  It\’s like there are a lot of people who do believe in God & in our salvation through Christ but they have nothing to offer in a conversation either because they\’re afraid they\’ll appear as a "religious fanatic" or because they really have no idea what having a personal relationship with Him means.  Some of them go to church every time the door\’s open, they listen to the sermon & nod their heads.  But it makes you wonder what their prayer life, bible study is really like.  To me, that type of person appears as a "lukewarm Christian," and we know what God has to say about those….."I will spew them out of my mouth."

12. Doc says:

An eye opening blog. My pastor has focused on Matthew for the past several weeks and this simply follows along much of what he has been saying. Thanks for the reinforcement.

13. Wanna says:

Hi Shell!

If you\’re wondering who this is, it\’s Carol.  I\’m feeling like starting here to maybe sorta-kinda start coming out of my little blogging closet (what I mean by that is I\’ve been keeping a blog but also keeping a very low profile with it, so, that said, if you could kinda let me get around to telling folks myself as I feel ready, that would be great).

I don\’t have anything particularly recent on this blog.  I\’ve started a couple of things that I have in drafts.   So it\’s kind of like walking into a house that\’s being remodeled with sawdust everywhere, but if you wanna come by, you\’re welcome anytime! 🙂

Love ya lots!